Date: 10/8/19 2:28 pm
From: Long Island Birding . <michaelzito...>
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Lined Seedeater, Queens
Hello Bob,
Just of note these birds are widely available for purchase online and maybe
even in local pet stores. I think many feel that it was probably an escapee
rather than the more unlikely scenario of a vagrant, but who knows?

https://leesexoticbirds.com/prices/

http://www.mdexoticbirds.net/Birds.html?1015.PCI=100262

Mike Z.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019, 5:18 PM Robert Lewis <rfermat...> wrote:

> HUH?? This has been present since September 7?? And not a single post of
> that fact to this server before? Or did I miss it?
>
> Thank you Shai.
>
> Bob Lewis
> Sleepy Hollow NY
>

> On Tuesday, October 8, 2019, 4:41:42 PM EDT, Shaibal Mitra <
> <Shaibal.Mitra...> wrote:
>

> We birders are good at distinguishing between the improbable (e.g., seeing
> a Lined Seedeater in New York) and the imponderable (e.g., deliberately
> driving the Belt Parkway on a morning when one had been granted a reprieve
> from doing so). With a chance at the former as an inducement for the
> enduring the latter, I visited the Charles Memorial Park this morning, on
> the north shore of Jamaica Bay, directly north of the parking area where we
> stage for visits to the north end of the East Pond.
>
> The male Lined Seedeater was skulky but still present, continuing from at
> least 7 Sep:
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60461352
>
> I'm not sure why this bird has not garnered more attention within the
> birding community. Lined Seedeater is a trans-equatorial austral migrant
> and a plausible candidate for natural vagrancy to North America. There is a
> specimen from the Isles of Shoals, New Hampshire, from 8 August 1935 (MCZ),
> and records of vagrants north of the regular northern South American
> austral winter (our summer) range from Costa Rica, and from Guadeloupe--the
> latter from 6-7 Sep 2017, perhaps not coincidentally almost exactly the
> date the present bird was found this year.
>
> Shai Mitra
> Bay Shore
> --

> ARCHIVES:
> 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/<nysbirds-l...>/maillist.html
> 3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

> http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
>
> --
> --
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
> *Archives:*
> The Mail Archive
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/<nysbirds-l...>/maillist.html>
> Surfbirds <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L>
> ABA <http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01>
> *Please submit your observations to **eBird*
> <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>*!*
> --

ARCHIVES: