Date: 10/8/19 8:05 am
From: Jack Maynard <jmaynard...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Limits on the interpretation of detail in bird records
Kelli and I recently attended a talk by Brian Sullivan of eBird. Among the many interesting facts he shared about their data collection and use was that eBird quantifies the skills of the individual birder reporting based upon number of species seen per tune unit and regularity of checkins.
He didn’t get very granular in the details, but he did say that eBird “...knows if you are a new birder or very experienced birder.”

Here’s a link to Monterey Birding Fest Speaker link. http://www.montereybaybirding.org/monterey-bay-birding-festival/2019-keynote-speakers/

I highly recommend attending his talk if you ever get a chance.

Jack Maynard
NE Portland

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 8, 2019, at 7:13 AM, Thomas Gilg <tom...> wrote:
>
> I've often wondered the practicality and reliability of eBird supporting an optional protocol-used checkbox. I've seen plenty of birders toggle between casual and serious, but there is no way (I believe) beyond comments to convey said rigor in eBird.
>
> In other industries, I've helped design large eServices that allow certifications/skills to be entered, which then allows the system to offer up more trusted and rigorous tagging privileges.
>
> Thomas Gilg, on the road

Join us on Facebook!