Date: 10/8/19 3:02 am
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (07 Oct 2019) 786 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 786 21368 88721

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 6.25 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Mark Hainen, Patrick Mulawa,
Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
We had some visitors today but apart from the local eagles up in pairs and
a few sharpies that flew directly over the site there was little to see.

Weather:
One of the things that makes sitting outside all day searching the sky so
interesting is the constantly changing tableau of cloud formations and blue
skies that never seem to linger for long. Today was the opposite as we
watched the blue sky behind a well defined line of cloud just the the NW of
us take four hours to reach our location. The winds were fairly easy out of
the west all day with none of the northerly element we were hoping for.
Barometer rose slightly from a normal average pressure.

Raptor Observations:
Today was a relatively slow day for us with little in the way of buteos to
process. Turkey vultures took their time to get going but ended up with 645
on the day. Sharp-shins came throughout the day but usually minutes apart
and ended up with 130+. 2 peregrines provided their usual burst of
excitement. 4 Red-tails were seen but we hoped for more. We did get one
broad-winged hawk and at this time of the season we are looking to hang the
Caboose Bird title on the last broad-wing of the season. I suspect there
will be more but not too many.

Non-raptor Observations:
We are beginning to think we are in some kind of disturbance in the
time-space continuum. We had a B-25 fly over us a few days ago and today it
was a B-17, it's four engines sounding like they are straining to stay
aloft. Definitely a plane you hear coming.

Predictions:
We have gentle winds from the northeast going to east tomorrow with a high
barometer. These are similar conditions to what brought us 35K broadwings
earlier in September. I hope that the buteos will be inspired to move as
they certainly took the day off today.
AJS
Report submitted by Jerry Jourdan (<jerry.jourdan...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo - Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/detroit-river-international-wildlife-refuge/detroit-river-hawk-watch-fall-2019

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<f5d47fd4e179be5ac6a115f8a5be3b31...>

Join us on Facebook!