Date: 10/7/19 10:47 pm
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Seaside birding for migrants Oct 07, 2019
While many of you were enjoying chasing Orchard Oriole and Prairie Warbler
while avoiding ambivalent kingbirds (or watching from the couch), I was out
spishing and tooting at some of my favorite Seaside haunts in search of
undiscovered vagrants and other notable avian observations (see ebird for
Clatsop County), I was not disappointed. I managed to find BLACK PHOEBE
in three different patches. Only two or three years ago that would have
been surprising. Migration of passerines is still in evidence. RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCHES are ubiquitous in seemingly every Chickadee flock, as are
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS. In a large mixed species flock I encountered in
Forest Drive off of Shore Terrace Loop off the end of 12th Ave I observed a
late YELLOW WARBLER and then not one, but two NASHVILLE WARBLERS. Ho-hum to
those east of the Coast Range, but Nasvilles are very rare on the Oregon
Coast. This may be only my second personal record of the species in
Clatsop County. Both appeared to be young of the year or female plumage,
though they only flicked their tails a couple times. That may fit the
expected behavior of the eastern Nashville Warblers, but there is no way I
can know for certain. That there were two is perhaps better support for a
more western origin, but don't forget the two Eastern Bluebirds that
wintered in Portland last year.

I saw TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS in every Chickadee flock that I dpished in today
too.

Two Marbled Godwits are staging at the Necsnicum Estuary Overlook west of
the high school; also three HERRING GULLShave joined the lingering mob of
CALIFORNIA GULLS. Three HHORNED GREBES are recent arrivals there too.

Get out and work your local patches, who knows what you'll find!

David C. Bailey
Seaside, Oregon