Date: 10/7/19 10:10 pm
From: Fred Kaluza <fkaluza...>
Subject: [birders] Re: [enviro-semich] More about Michigan EEE spraying- unintended consequences, e.g., impact on insectivorous birds

I can only think it’s going to come down to lawsuits again.  The state probably decided it was going to get sued one way or the other.  Either protecting humanity at the expense of nature, or preserving the natural world and then being sued by relatives of the deceased.  I bet they’re banking that the majority on any jury still feel like a single human life means more than any insect and anything downstream of the insects.  Sadly, I think the majority of the general public still feels that’s true.  Well, let the lawsuits begin.

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 2:56 PM -0400, "Larry Nooden" <ldnum...> wrote:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/10/07/eee-virus-michigan-mosquito-spraying-insects/3866812002/
The concerns about the sprayings for EEE vector mosquitoes  go way beyond the rare butterfly (Mitchell's Satyr), and the article cited makes a good start on the unintended consequences, which will likely aggravate the original problem and/or creates new problems.
This spraying will likely have a huge impact on insectivorous birds.  I have seen a huge decrease on a natural area in S central MI, but I believe this decrease is widespread.

I wonder if the well-intended public health agencies who are leading this consulted government agencies who have ecological expertise, i.e., MiDNR for starters.  Does anyone know?

--

enviro-semich is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/enviro-semich/CAE525pqac%3D43c3zvSvpBhit%2BNScDnptH57OoLp7_9tPWQG2T%<2BQ...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org