Date: 10/7/19 4:13 pm
Subject: Re: Hummingbirds gone?
Hi Frank,
We still have hummers here in Hanahan on Goose Creek Reservoir. Two adults and two immatures. The also go to the jelly out for the Orioles.
We have two male, two females and two 1st year - one male and one female.
Hope you are well on your way to recovery Frank!

Pat
Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse any typos.

> On Oct 7, 2019, at 4:34 PM, Frank Hamilton <fhamil06...> wrote:
>
> I haven't seen any birds at my feeders at my suburban home. However, I did see a bird at my sister-in-laws place on Sullivan's Island, SC. She said there have been others passing through this past week. I plan to leave two feeders in place for the foreseeable future. I've heard about hummers--ruby-throats or another species--wintering over in some places so I'm going to leave feeders in place to see what happens.
>
> Want to share a nice personal story. I had back surgery three weeks ago and was totally grounded, unable to refill any of my feeders, both seed and nectar. When I was able to take a short walk outside, I asked a neighbor if her two young school-age daughters were required to perform comm unity service hours at their schools. She said no, but volunteered their services as being good neighbors. They came by on a Saturday morning and took down my hummingbird feeders, washed them in hot water and rinsed them under my wife's supervision. I only intended to put out five feeders since numbers had declined but, in their zeal, they put out every feeder I had! There was enough nectar in place to feed a flock of hummers. The girls had a lot of fun and I shared some of the knowledge about hummingbirds I've learned over many years. This was their first experience with birds. I hope I peaked their interest to learn more.
>
> Frank Hamilton
> Charleston, SC

Join us on Facebook!