Date: 10/7/19 2:01 pm
From: Marlene A Condon via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [VA-bird] Hummingbird at my McLean, Virginia feeder this morning with temps in the 40's
Thank you so much for pointing out that it is not a good idea to increase the amount of sugar in sugar water for hummingbirds.  This is a widespread notion that I've even heard long-time birders suggest to others.
The rule that folks should always remember is simply to follow Mother Nature's example.  Don't try to "improve" upon nature.  If hummers were supposed to get a higher concentration of sugar in their diets, the natural world would have provided it already.  After all, it's had plenty of time to do so!
Sincerely,Marlene
In a message dated 10/5/2019 8:59:54 AM US Eastern Standard Time, <va-bird...> writes:

There were 2 visits to my hummingbird feeder in McLean, Virginia at around 7:15 am this morning with temps in the40's.  I hadn't seen any for over a week.A friend advised me to increase the amount of sugar in the nectar in the fall.  This person does NOT feed hummingbirds.I have researched this issue and found NO SUCH RECOMMENDATION by the Audubon or Humminigbird societies.  Infact, I have read the increasing the amount of sugar from the recommended 1 part sugar to 4 parts water can damagea hummingbird's liver and kidneys.  I was interested to read that in very cold weather the nectar can be brought in overnight.  As I have observed hummingbirds drinking nectar in the 7 am time, I would think that you would have to getup very early, say 6:30ish?, to put nectar back out.Happy birding.*** You are subscribed to VA-bird as <marlenecondon...> If you wish to unsubscribe, or modify your preferences please visit https://mailman.listserve.com/listmanager/listinfo/va-bird ***