Date: 10/7/19 1:35 pm
From: Frank Hamilton <fhamil06...>
Subject: Hummingbirds gone?
I haven't seen any birds at my feeders at my suburban home.  However, I did see a bird at my sister-in-laws place on Sullivan's Island, SC.  She said there have been others passing through this past week.  I plan to leave two feeders in place for the foreseeable future.  I've heard about hummers--ruby-throats or another species--wintering over in some places so I'm going to leave feeders in place to see what happens.
Want to share a nice personal story.  I had back surgery three weeks ago and was totally grounded, unable to refill any of my feeders, both seed and nectar.  When I was able to take a short walk outside, I asked a neighbor if her two young school-age daughters were required to perform community service hours at their schools.  She said no, but volunteered their services as being good neighbors.  They came by on a Saturday morning and took down my hummingbird feeders, washed them in hot water and rinsed them under my wife's supervision.  I only intended to put out five feeders since numbers had declined but, in their zeal, they put out every feeder I had!  There was enough nectar in place to feed a flock of hummers.  The girls had a lot of fun and I shared some of the knowledge about hummingbirds I've learned over many years.  This was their first experience with birds.  I hope I peaked their interest to learn more.

Frank HamiltonCharleston, SC

Join us on Facebook!