Date: 10/7/19 7:33 am
From: Tim Johnson <tim.the.fisherman...>
Subject: [obol] Oregon Pelagic Tours 10-hour Pelagic Trip
Hi all,

Yesterday, I went on a 10-hour pelagic trip out of Newport. I’ve lived in
Oregon for 12 years and birded throughout the state extensively since
arriving but had not previously gone on a pelagic trip. I booked the trip
through Oregon Pelagic Tours. Here’s a short report.

The sea was relatively calm (5 foot swell) and no one appeared to get sea
sick. More importantly we saw lots of my target birds. Here's a list of
some of the birds seen:

Shearwaters: Short-tailed, Pink-footed, Sooty, Buller’s
South Polar Skua
Jaegars: Pomarine, Parasitic
Auklets: Rhinoceros, Cassin’s
Northern Fulmar
Gulls: Sabin, Western, California, Herring, hybrids
Albatross: Black-footed, Laysan

We saw many of these birds very close to the boat. I saw 8 lifers on this
trip. The highlight for me was the great looks at the Albatrosses.

I highly recommend the Oregon Pelagic Tours trips. The owner and operator
Tim Shelmerdine does an excellent job. His trips are well organized and
supported by several other knowledgeable trip leaders. I had a great time
and won’t wait so long to sign up for another.

Tim Johnson
Salem

Join us on Facebook!