Date: 10/7/19 6:22 am
From: <badgerboy...>
Subject: Big Grackle flock in the high country
Yesterday there was a very large flock of grackles and blackbirds near
Valle Crucis in Watauga county. I estimated the grackles at a couple
thousand and the blackbirds at a couple hundred, but it was hard to get
good numbers as they were concealed well within a very dense stand of
bamboo.

I've not been able to find any reports of more than a few hundred birds,
so this might be unusual for the northern mountains area. We've had very
large flocks in winter in the neighboring piedmont counties, though. If
anyone has knowledge of other reports of this magnitude in the
mountains, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Guy McGrane, Deep Gap, NC

Join us on Facebook!