Date: 10/7/19 4:43 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (06 Oct 2019) 11 Raptors

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (12): Mary Coggins, Joseph Timoney, David Brown, Jean-Marie
Gauthier, Roula Theodoropovlos, Carol Majors, Carl Mease, Dirk Robinson,
Colleen DelMonte, Jerry Jeffers, Susan Jeffers
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy (70-100% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 3,700-3,200 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 53 - 71F, Winds SE/S @ 5 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (3) and Turkey Vultures (7).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
Today began with our regular bird walk at Bucktoe. Well no, today began
with a nice LARGE cup of “field brew” to wake up, THEN the bird walk.
We are nearing the end of warbler migration. Still, it’s a time for
rarities like Connecticut Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, and don’t get
me started on the potential flycatchers! Sparrows are increasing their
migration, too. Don’t let the advancing season get you down. It’s a
fantastic time for birding, with potential rarities at every turn. 10
people showed up for our walk this cloudy, cool morning, seeing 48 species,
among them: Great Blue Heron, Wood Ducks, Sharp-shinned Hawks, Cooper’s
Hawk, Bald Eagles, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, White-crowned Sparrows, Savannah
Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, Northern Parula, Black-throated Blue Warblers, Palm
Warblers, and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.
<BR><BR>
After the walk, I went to the Hawk Watch, but this was no day to watch
hawks! The ceiling was low, the winds were all wrong and predictably,
nothing was moving. A Yellow-bellied Sapsucker flew by; the first of the
season.
<BR><BR>
An early morning visit to New Garden WTP had supplied Lesser Yellowlegs,
Killdeer, Ring-necked Duck, and Wood Ducks for the day’s list.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Great Blue Heron, Wood Ducks, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Ruby-crowned
Kinglets, White-crowned Sparrows, Savannah Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow,
Bobolink, Northern Parula, Black-throated Blue Warblers, Palm Warblers,
Blue Grosbeak, and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (11): Monarch - 7, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black
Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals
(3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed Deer.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.48; Steps:
15,190; Floors: 66.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 55; this season:
120
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like another bad day, before a front works thru
tonight.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: