Date: 10/6/19 10:21 pm
From: reeser <reeser...>
Subject: Hummingbirds and Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers -- Cumberland County
We had at least 2 hummingbirds here all day today Sunday 10/6/19. They
appeared to be young or female ruby throated hummingbirds. They were
chasing each other and taking turns using the pineapple salvia garden
and the multi-salvia garden (greggi, Amistad, Black and Blue, Wendy's
Wish, etc and a few remaining cardinal flowers).

I had not had much time to watch for hummingbirds earlier in the summer
but knowing that after Labor Day they would begin to disappear, we took
time either each morning and/or late afternoon to watch for them. And to
my surprise found more than I would have expected at this time of year.
We've had hummingbirds here every day of September and so far into
October. The warmest days last week it was hard to count them because of
all the chases and activity. We can safely say that we saw at least 4 at
one time, but they were just constantly on the move back and forth among
the flower gardens and then perched in various trees and bushes. They
seemed to be accumulating as the weather hit its record warmth last week
in the 90s. Now, as mentioned we are back to 2 at a time with the cooler
temps (60s Sat, 70s Sun) and drizzle today.

The yellow bellied sapsuckers started showing up on Wednesday 10/2/19
and we've been seeing them through this weekend. A mixture of young and
old. They've been drilling sap wells in the locust tree again. The
neighbor has a huge maple tree in bad shape and its been drawing in all
the woodpeckers at once (Downy, Hairy, Red Bellied, Northern Flicker).
They have been chasing each other off the suet dough feeder.

If the temps and flowers hold on, hoping to see the hummers a few more
days, but know this is not going to last. They will soon all be gone
until next year. No winter birds, like the juncos, have appeared yet,
but I'm guessing they are not too far away.

A few warblers have passed through recently but not able to identify
precisely. And we did have either a Willow or Alder flycatcher here for
a day recently. And the warm weather last week brought through a bunch
of monarchs (maybe 4 or so at a time). They spent a few days on the
pineapple salvia, had not seen them use that flower before.

Otherwise, lots of the usual yard birds, song sparrows, Carolina wrens,
house finches, chickadees, titmice, white breasted nuthatch, the
woodpeckers, mourning doves, blue jays, cardinals, goldfinches, house
sparrows, robins, starlings, Coopers hawk, Red tailed hawks, etc. Also
have seen vultures (turkey?) and chimney swifts over head.

Ellen
<reeser...>
eastern Cumberland County

Join us on Facebook!