Date: 10/6/19 9:43 pm
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Brewers, Clay-colored, Chipping Photos
Hi birders,

This morning I briefly got poor views of the Spizella Sparrows at the
Homeless Garden Project in Santa Cruz. I went back around 4:30pm and was
lucky enough to see and take photo studies of BREWER'S SPARROW ,
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, and CHIPPING SPARROWS.

CHIPPING SPARROWS:
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/documentary/sparrow_chipping_191006a.jpg
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/sparrow_chipping_191006a.jpg
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/sparrow_chipping_191006b.jpg

CLAY-COLORED SPARROW:
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/documentary/sparrow_clay_colored_191006a.jpg
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/documentary/sparrow_clay_colored_191006b.jpg

BREWER'S SPARROW
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/sparrow_brewers_191006a.jpg
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/sparrow_brewers_191006b.jpg
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/sparrow_brewers_191006c.jpg

I was particularly happy with the BREWER'S SPARROW since this was a
county bird. Sorting these guys out in the field was not easy for me.
Even at home studying still images, I went back and forth on the above
id's. Subtle lighting differences make for some interesting comparisons.
That being said, the BREWER's was noticeably overall paler than the
other two species, or so it seemed in the field.

Also at the Homeless Garden, an unexpected find were 2 WESTERN
BLUEBIRDS. But, as the sun began to set behind a cloud bank, a COOPER'S
HAWK came in an quickly put an end to the show.

For a full list of what I saw this evening at the homeless garden
project, see this ebird list:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60412804

Fun birding,

Pete