Date: 10/6/19 7:27 pm
From: reports--- via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Kiptopeke Hawkwatch (06 Oct 2019) 74 Raptors
Kiptopeke Hawkwatch
Tip of Virginia's Eastern Shore, Virginia, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 06, 2019

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 22 471 3629
Bald Eagle 1 41 287
Northern Harrier 1 37 255
Sharp-shinned Hawk 13 666 2295
Cooper's Hawk 9 326 885
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 1 4
Broad-winged Hawk 2 98 503
Red-tailed Hawk 1 22 106
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 5 480 2877
Merlin 7 480 1747
Peregrine Falcon 13 170 491
Unknown Accipiter 0 4 4
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 2 13
Unknown Raptor 0 0 5
Mississippi Kite 0 0 3

Total: 74 2798 13104

Observation start time: 06:15:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 10.75 hours

Official Counter: Anna Stunkel, Lynn Davidson

Observers: Hal Wierenga, Harry Armistead, Joe Beatty, Katie Garst,
Kevin McGann, Lynn Davidson, Megan Murante, Rose Leong,
Wes Hetrick

Visitors:
Thank you to the group of Nature Conservancy folks and teachers who stopped
by for a raptor ID workshop today!

Weather:
Light to moderate winds were from the southeast, with mostly cloudy skies
and temperatures in the seventies.

Raptor Observations:
It was a slow day, with just a few birds trickling through. We had some
nice views of peregrines in the afternoon, though.

Non-raptor Observations:
Five Gray Catbirds, a few Chipping Sparrows and cardinals, "Jerry Garcia"
the mockingbird, and an Eastern Towhee (FOS) were having a grand time at
the birdbath today. Speaking of the mockingbird, we have been enjoying some
new additions to his repertoire lately. These include Red-tailed Hawk and
Brown-headed Nuthatch calls. Other observations included:

3 Snowy Egrets
2 White Ibises
1 Great Egret
1 Pileated Woodpecker
1 Yellow-rumped Warbler
Report submitted by Brian Taber (<Taberzz...>)
Kiptopeke Hawkwatch information may be found at:
www.cvwo.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=484
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo - Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/cvwo/kiptopeke-hawk-count-2019