Date: 10/6/19 4:56 pm
From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Subject: [obol] *Re: Newport White-headed Woodpecker
Hi,

The eBird map for White-headed Woodpecker reports in Oregon
(https://tinyurl.com/y4lfjmh3) indicates no eBird records along the
Oregon Coast. The only eBird record west of Oregon Cascades north of
Sutherlin is a sighting at Minto-Brown Island Park in Salem on
10/14/2018 (https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49208223).

P. 364 of "The Bird of Oregon A General Reference" (2003): for
White-headed Woodpecker: "Oregon Distribution: An uncommon permanent
resident in forests of the Ochoco, Blue, and Wallowa Mtns. and the
east side of the Cascades, but suitable habitat is restricted. Local
west of the Cascade crest in upper reaches of the Umpqua R. basin, in
the Siskiyou Mtns., and in the north part of the east slope of the
Cascades (Marshall 1997). Fewer than 10 records exist outside this
range, including coastal sites and Malheur NWR (Rogers J 1978,
Littlefield 1990a, Tweit and Johnson 1990)."

The Lincoln Co. reports below are, in my opinion, unconfirmed.
Reports prior to 1993 in my files; 1993-2015 records from search box
at top of http://yaquina.info/ybn/bird/bird.htm and 2016-2018 records
posted to OBOL or LCBNO.

11/22/1985. Wes Bell tentatively identified one at Cape Perpetua; it
was described as having white in the wings and a white head and was
seen while the observer was driving; the bird flew across Highway 101
and landed on a pine in an area where the driver could not stop and
verify the sighting.

9/22/1986. Jim and Janice Gerdemann reported a male in a clearcut
that was reached by turning onto Yachats River Road from Highway 101
at Yachats, driving 5.2 miles and turning onto U.S. Forest Service
Road 5360, and then driving 2 miles to a clearcut on the west side of
the road.

1/22/1990. While driving, Darrel Faxon reported that one fly south
across Highway 20 near High Valley Road between Toledo and Newport
towards a clearcut.

6/2/2014. Darrel Faxon saw one at Thornton Creek between Toledo and Eddyville.

Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon.

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 3:52 PM Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...> wrote:

> The only other coast raced that I know of was one seen by Neal Maine at Fort Stevens State Park years ago.
>
> Jeff Gilligan
>

> > On Oct 6, 2019, at 2:44 PM, Range Bayer <range.bayer...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > At about 8 AM this morning at SW Angle and 11th Street where the Prairie Warbler was seen, Chuck Philo saw a bird flying high overhead and straight from the area of the Newport City Hall towards the bayfront. From its altitude, it didn't look like it would have landed at the bayfront. At first, he thought the bird was a flyover Lewis' Woodpecker based on its flying characteristics and somewhat shorter tail. He took 2 photos. He got home and saw from the photos that it was a Whited-headed Woodpecker.
> >
> > Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon.

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!