Date: 10/6/19 2:43 pm
Subject: A Merlin, a Kestrel, and a Sharp-shinned Hawk walk into a bar...
Well, it wasn't really a bar, it was a dead tree top, and they didn't walk they flew. But all three were in the same tree top at the same time on Friday morning near some agricultural fields along the Mayo River in Rockingham County, NC. I watched them chase and jockey for position for twenty-five minutes. The American Kestrel started at the top with the Merlin a little below that and the Sharp-shinned Hawk yet lower. As expected, the Merlin was actively chasing the other two birds until finally the American Kestrel decide to depart. Then the Merlin and the Sharp-shinned Hawk went at it for ten minutes, with the Merlin holding the high ground. The Sharp-shinned Hawk finally had enough and moved on to less crowded hunting grounds. The Merlin's victory was short lived as a group of Blue Jays that had been watching the spectacle could now harass the lone raptor until it finally moved on as well.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ebird.org_view_checklist_S60337709-3Fview-3Dphotos&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=n5qfMtN_ETuJfkP3nnYab350Ieo9ePsejm--T6c-jP8&s=CgXWjgWsDFhLd5xeuhPxXhVF7C17UVUX8qCRKN47f18&e=

Marty Wall
Eden, NC

Join us on Facebook!