Date: 10/6/19 2:29 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bake Oven Knob (06 Oct 2019) 3 Raptors
Bake Oven Knob
2 miles North of Germansville, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 06, 2019

Black Vulture 0 27 161
Turkey Vulture 0 46 488
Osprey 0 20 177
Bald Eagle 0 41 192
Northern Harrier 0 5 22
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 290 810
Cooper's Hawk 0 16 67
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 3 8
Broad-winged Hawk 0 8 4161
Red-tailed Hawk 0 14 146
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 1
American Kestrel 3 9 79
Merlin 0 6 21
Peregrine Falcon 0 4 18
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 4 62

Total: 3 493 6413

Observation start time: 12:15:00
Observation end time: 13:15:00
Total observation time: 1 hours

Official Counter: Rick Morrissey

Observers:

Visitors:
At 0700 the BOK counter surprised five juvenile, hooded Homo Sapiens, three
males and two females who left the South Look-out quickly. There was the
unmistakable smell of marijuana in the morning air. Nice kids, they made a
plan for the day and stuck with it, who am I to judge. Later another young
visitor who stayed for a few minutes left the quote of the day, “Sunday
is ‘fun day.” Yes it is, yes it was.

Weather:
The BOK Hawkwatch was in a fog cloud up until 1215 EST with constant
drizzle and rain showers, visibility to about 75 feet. The winds were 3-8
mph, from the SSE. Mid-day the fog cleared for approximately 45 minutes,
visibility to about 4 miles and the count was started. The low temperature
was 51F at 0700 EST, with a high of 56F at 1315 EST when the count was
ended for the day due to low visibility.

Raptor Observations:
After an hour in the fog beginning at 0700, I returned to my car in the
parking lot for two hours to read my book, ‘Dark Matter and the
Dinosaurs.’ Not the best read on a foggy morning. I returned to the
South Look-out at 1215 EST, the fog was just beginng to leave the Bake Oven
Knob bowl. Nothing was in the air for about 40 minutes, so I stopped to
note the temperature and wind speeds for the hour. Good thing I looked up
to see three Kestrels rising out of the trees in the bowl in front of the
South look-out. The Kestrels started down ridge, one with a distrinct
‘full crop,’ and then they disappeared into a dense fog bank which
quickly covered the South look-out. This cloud bank looked like it was
here to stay, so with three raptors counted and no shut out for today I
decided to catch the ball games on TV.

Non-raptor Observations:
Eight cedar wax wings, heard a Pileated woodpecker.

Predictions:
Showers early, becoming a steady rain later in the day. High 67F. Winds
WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall around half an inch.
Locally heavy rainfall possible.

Report submitted by Bob Hoopes (<rehoopes...>)
Bake Oven Knob information may be found at:
www.lgnc.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=399

Join us on Facebook!