Date: 10/6/19 9:49 am
From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Subject: [obol] Re: The history of vagrancy repeats itself
Hi,

The only time an Orchard Oriole and a Prairie Warbler have been seen on the
same day in Lincoln County is on land in Newport with the influx of birders
for planned pelagic trips in very late September (9/27/1981) or early Oct.
(10/5/2019). Observation effort + time of year + location is key ...
1) The Orchard Oriole and Prairie Warblers Lars discusses below were found
on Sept. 27, 1981. My recollection of it was that it was also by birders
who had been planning to go on a pelagic trip, and since it happened very
late in Sept., it could be remembered as early Oct. All I could remember
that it was in fall.

From "Records of the OBRC – August 2019
<https://oregonbirding.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/recordsaugust2019.pdf>
" link at Oregon Bird Records Committee --
https://oregonbirding.org/oregon-bird-records-committee/

Orchard Oriole Icterus spurius OROR-1981-01 (A1) South Beach, Newport,
Lincoln Co., 1 in immature plumage on 27 September 1981 (DI; photos by JG,
OS). First verified Oregon record. (Old number: 506- 81-01) [Jeff
Gilligan and David Irons also discuss this by searching for "Orchard
Oriole" at
https://oregonbirding.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/orbirdsfall1987.pdf "The
first verified record of Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius) for Oregon was an
immature bird found near Newport, Lincoln County, on 27 September 1981. We
believe that this was the first record verified by photograph or specimen
for the west coast of North America north of California."]

Prairie Warbler Setophaga discolor PRAW-1981-01 (A1) South Beach,
Newport, Lincoln Co., 1 in first fall plumage on 27 September 1981 (JG,
DI). (Old number: 673-81-01)
2) The 9/27/1981 Orchard Oriole record is the only one accepted by the
OBRC in Lincoln County ("Records of the OBRC – August 2019
<https://oregonbirding.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/recordsaugust2019.pdf>").
There are 3 additional reports that were considered but that were not
accepted by the OBRC ("Records of the OBRC – August 2019
<https://oregonbirding.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/recordsaugust2019.pdf>
").

Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon