Date: 10/6/19 7:04 am
From: Allen Hale via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] A Descent of Woodpeckers
Three years ago, I reported the arrival in Nelson County of about six
Red-headed Woodpeckers in early September. They stayed the winter
departing in May 2017. None appeared during the past two winters. But on
September 21st at least three RHWOs took up residence. They are very
vocal, but still tricky to see with all the leaves. I have seen at least
one immature bird. Acorns have been raining down on us and our older
hardwood forest has many dead trees and limbs, no doubt attractive to
these birds.

Quoting Alexander Wilson, "The Red-headed Woodpecker is, properly
speaking, a bird of passage."

Unfortunately, nesting sites of Red-headed Woodpeckers have declined in
Central Virginia.

--
Allen M. Hale
3130 Laurel Road