Date: 10/5/19 5:39 pm
Subject: Warblers and swifts
Hi All.
Fun to get out on a normal cool autumn morning and find a swarm of
warblers. I birded the Buckeye Trail (Crabtree Creek greenway) in Raleigh
(just west of the boardwalk) and there was a very active flock including:
multiples of E Wood Pewee, 1 Swainson's Thrush, and multiples of various
warblers including: Tennessee, No Parula, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia,
Black-throated Blue, Black-thr Green, Yellow-rumped (1), Prairie Warbler,
Black & White, American Redstart, and Common Yellowthroat.
This evening (sunset) I took the extended family to view the Chimney Swifts
using the News and Observer chimney in downtown Raleigh- (viewed from
parking deck off Salisbury Street (near Hargett). The flock size has
doubled since last week when I led 97 people to see the roost, so upwards
of 6000 swifts entering a chimney at eye-level maybe 100 feet away...it
really is a spectacle! This chimney will likely be lost as the building is
redeveloped in the coming year, so if you haven't seen something like this,
it really is worth the visit. Probably one more week before the birds
migrate south.
John Connors
Raleigh, NC

Join us on Facebook!