Date: 10/5/19 4:39 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (05 Oct 2019) 8149 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 4
Swainson's Hawk 0 0 1

Total: 8149 18340 48395

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Olga Klekner, Scott Fauteux

Visitors:
It was also a busy day for visitors on the tower. Thank you to each and
everyone of you who came out to say hello and spot some raptors.
Thank you to the University of Windsor Ornithology class for stopping by,
always a pleasure!
Thanks to Edmund, Noel and Juliette, Scott and Rachelle Fauteux, Olga,
Donny, Jim McCoy, Robin, Fran and Brian, Anna-Rita and Fred from London,
Doug and Nancy, Rod and Pearl, Time and Eve, Jo and Melody, Michelle, Jake,
Darcy and Mark. Thank you!!

Weather:
A cooler day on the tower, but with really favourable winds blowing from
the North in the morning and slowly shifting towards the East. The blue sky
was peppered with white clouds most of the day, thankfully enabling us to
better see the very high raptors.

Raptor Observations:
What successful day on the tower! Not only did we count 7,830 Turkey
Vultures but we also counted our very first Golden Eagle! Spotted by Olga,
the juvenile passed quite low to the tower in the afternoon giving us a
good look.
The day was mostly spent looking straight up through the kettles of Turkey
Vultures to spot others raptors, mostly buteos flying amongst them. We were
successful, as we counted 69 Red-tailed hawks, 77 Broad-winged Hawks, and
12 Red-shouldered Hawks.
With the height at which all the raptors we flying, everyone will need a
neck massage tonight! Hopefully they'll be slightly lower tomorrow.

Non-raptor Observations:
Of course on a busy raptor day we were also constantly looking out for
migrating Jays, counting 13,370 Blue Jays.
We had a last little fall of warbler around the tower towards the end of
the day, counting some Redstarts and Red-eyed Vireos. In the morning, we
also observed a couple of Ruby and Golden-crowned Kinglets.
We are noticing a decrease in waterfowl numbers in the last few days,
including ducks, egrets, and herons.

Blue Jays: 13,370
Starling: 227
Goldfinch: 179
Red-winged Blackbird: 190
Yellow-rumped warbler: 19
Bonaparte's gull: 5
American Coot: 219
Monarch: 8

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60376537

Predictions:
Tomorrow morning we are expecting a little bit of rain and winds from the
South-West. Conditions are set to improve in the afternoon, with a mix of
sun and cloud as well as winds shifting to the West. We are expecting more
Turkey Vultures flying over-head, hopefully with a few buteos mixed in
those kettles.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<5a76710b16b261043e13e29ce72601f5...>