Date: 10/5/19 2:21 pm
From: Elton Morel via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] NVBC field trip to Aquia Landing Park & Crow's Nest NAP, Stafford county, Oct 5, 2019
VA Birders:

This morning, the Northern Virginia Bird Club visited Aquia Landing Park and Crow's Nest Natural Area Preserve in Stafford county. We collectively tallied 55 species over the two locations.

We started the morning met by a brisk breeze off Aquia Creek that was a bit of a shock to the system given our summer of hot weather. A high flying Common Loon was a nice surprise but the best bird at the parking lot was a loudly calling Northern Waterthrush in the vegetation near of the restrooms. While walking down the entrance road, we found a mixed species flock of sparrows amongst the grasses and rocks on the beach side of the road -- we managed to flush up Savannah, Swamp, Song sparrows and an immature White-crowned Sparrow which was a nice surprise for this location. Other notable finds along the entrance road were a Northern Parula and a Red-eyed Vireo, skulking Brown Thrashers, a flyover Belted Kingfisher and the Pied-billed Grebes have arrived.

Over at the Crow's Nest NAP boardwalk, we briefly heard Soras call on both sides of board walk. Along the Blue Trail, we added both Swainson's and Gray-cheeked Thrush, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, another Northern Parula and a couple of Black-and-white Warblers.

The complete eBird checklists for both locations are below.

Elton Morel
Arlington, Virginia

Aquia Landing Park, Stafford, Virginia, US

Oct 5, 2019 7:35 AM - 10:45 AM

Protocol: Traveling

0.75 mile(s)

Comments: NVBC walk led by Phil Silas & Elton Morel

46 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 20

Mute Swan 5

Pied-billed Grebe 7

Mourning Dove 2

Laughing Gull 60

Ring-billed Gull 25

Caspian Tern 2

Forster's Tern 20

Common Loon 1 High flyover

Double-crested Cormorant 11

Great Blue Heron 2

Great Egret 1

Black Vulture 3

Turkey Vulture 8

Bald Eagle 5

Red-shouldered Hawk 1

Red-tailed Hawk 1

Belted Kingfisher 1

Red-bellied Woodpecker 3

Downy Woodpecker 3

Pileated Woodpecker 1 Heard

Northern Flicker 8

Eastern Wood-Pewee 1

Eastern Phoebe 1

Red-eyed Vireo 1

Blue Jay 4

American Crow 5

Fish Crow 1 Heard

Carolina Chickadee 5

Tufted Titmouse 2

Northern Rough-winged Swallow 15

White-breasted Nuthatch 1

Carolina Wren 8

Gray Catbird 6

Brown Thrasher 2

Eastern Bluebird 2

Catharus sp. 1

White-crowned Sparrow 1

Savannah Sparrow 2

Song Sparrow 3

Swamp Sparrow 5

Red-winged Blackbird 60

Northern Waterthrush 1 Waterthrush with heavily streaked under parts and rather bright yellow background, yellow supercilium. Bobbing tail. First noticed a loud ringing chip note from the vegetation behind the trash bin in the SW corner of the parking lot next to the picnic area.

Common Yellowthroat 2

Northern Parula 2

Yellow-rumped Warbler 4

Northern Cardinal 7

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60371925

Crow's Nest Natural Area Preserve, Stafford, Virginia, US

Oct 5, 2019 10:55 AM - 12:55 PM

Protocol: Traveling

0.75 mile(s)

Comments: NVBC walk led by Phil Silas & Elton Morel

36 species (+1 other taxa)

Wood Duck 2

Sora 2 Heard

Laughing Gull 15

Caspian Tern 2 Flyover

Double-crested Cormorant 1

Great Blue Heron 2

Great Egret 1

Black Vulture 10

Turkey Vulture 8

Cooper's Hawk 1

Bald Eagle 6

Red-shouldered Hawk 2

Belted Kingfisher 2

Red-bellied Woodpecker 4

Downy Woodpecker 3

Hairy Woodpecker 1 Heard, after the tally

Northern Flicker 4

Eastern Phoebe 2

Red-eyed Vireo 1

Blue Jay 8