Date: 10/5/19 3:24 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (04 Oct 2019) 57 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 57 118 1494

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Howard Campbell, John Beitler, Kelley Nunn, Mike Hartshorne

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (9): Mike Hartshorne, Nolan Morris, Jim Balint, Howard Campbell,
Dirk Robinson, Kelley Nunn, John Beitler, AJ Beitler
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Sunny (25% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 61 - 66F, Winds NNW @ 10 - 20 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (64) and Turkey Vultures (76).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-6
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On Oct. 3, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
Mike and I had arranged an early morning walk to Warbler Meadows at Bucktoe
today, but first “field brew” is called for, don’t you think? Yep,
you’re right. You guys must know Mike and what I’ll have to put up
with. It could be worse, much worse…it could be Scott. Before he
arrived late [Mike was taking a beauty-rest. Give it up, Mike Rip Van
Winkle couldn’t sleep long enough to make a difference for you], I had
Blue Grosbeaks, Nashville Warbler, Parula Warblers, Chestnut-sided Warbler
and Lincoln’s Sparrow [my FOY]. The walk added Black-throated Blue
Warblers, Magnolia Warbler. American Redstart, Tennessee Warblers, and Palm
Warblers.
<BR><BR>
Howard was out will some more seed. Howard, it’s gonna be too cold for
you – not going to make it to 72 degrees today, buddy. It felt like fall
for the first time. There was a dribble of Broad-winged Hawks coming thru,
all single and high; a steadier stream of accipiters, both high and low.
And Howard saw “his Eagle.”
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
COMMON RAVEN, Brown Thrasher, White-crowned Sparrow, Lincoln’s Sparrow,
Swamp Sparrow, Tennessee Warblers, Nashville Warbler, American Redstart,
Magnolia Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warblers,
Palm Warblers and Blue Grosbeaks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (12): Monarch - 40, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary, Mourning Cloak. Dragonflies (3): Green
Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians
(0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.64; Steps:
17,912; Floors: 23.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 62; this season:
116
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):”
Lincoln’s Sparrow and Nashville Warbler.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks good, but with no clouds to help find birds in
the sky. Passerine flight could be good though.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek