Date: 10/4/19 9:24 pm
From: Fred Kaluza <fkaluza...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Hummingbird reports

My latest nectar all went brown and sloppy in about three days!  I think the deer (with their muddy tongues) have been slurping nectar after they raid my bird feeders to wash down the peanuts and oilers.  Then, this twenty-pound fawn (who I practically watched hatch from its egg) had the gall to “stomp” and challenge me😊Yesterday.  I guess that’s how it goes when fall approaches and you only have one spot left.

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 8:15 PM -0400, "Su Clift" <coffeebeansu...> wrote:

I’m watching. I still have at least two frequent feeders.
Su in Adrian

On Oct 4, 2019, at 8:06 PM, Allen Chartier <amazilia3...> wrote:

Everyone,
I have been quiet lately about hummingbird reports, but wanted to encourage everyone in the state to continue to report. By early October, 98% of the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds in the state will depart, and all should be gone from the UP. After October 15, the chances that a hummingbird a your feeder is a Ruby-throat is probably less than 50-50, so photos of these especially late hummingbirds will be very helpful.

So far, there have been two confirmed reports of Rufous Hummingbirds in Michigan. As is typical throughout the East, these early reports were adult males, and neither stayed very long. One adult male was west of Escanaba on July 21-23, which is very early for the state though perhaps not too unexpected in the UP. Another adult male was photographed in Mason County on August 10.

So, keep your feeders filled, your eyes open, and your camera ready!
Thanks!

Allen T. Chartier
Inkster, Michigan
Email: <amazilia3...>