Date: 10/4/19 6:26 pm
From: reports--- via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Harvey's Knob (04 Oct 2019) 9 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 7

Total: 9 26 6386

Observation start time: 06:45:00
Observation end time: 16:15:00
Total observation time: 9.5 hours

Official Counter: Mitch Mitchell

Observers: Dan DeHart, David Kirk, Mike Crowder, Roger Baroody

Visitors:
A through hiker, trail name "Petey", headed south benefited from some trail
magic left on the large rocks on the AT at the end of the parking lot.
Some thoughtful trail fairy left several large bottles of water and he was
one happy hiker. He said that water is very scarce along the trail and was
very appreciative. A couple from Quebec in one of the aforementioned RVs
spent a few minutes talking with us and a Vermont couple riding motorcycles
and headed to Texas spoke with Mike for a while.

Weather:
Beautiful day on the mountain with much needed relief from the heat.
Temperature was 67F at the start of watch and rose to near 80. Crystal
clear skies without a cloud in sight until the very end of watch.
Visibility of the western valley was the best I've observed so far this
season. Winds were fairly strong most of the day, primarily from the NW
early but varied later in the day.

Raptor Observations:
First bird was a sharp shinned that appeared directly above the overlook
parking lot just as I stepped out of the car at 7:45 (DST). Was hoping
that was a sign of a big count day but no such luck and the last birds
observed passed in the 10:00 hour.

Non-raptor Observations:
Some monarchs, blue jays, red headed woodpeckers, swifts and other small
birds. Parkway traffic wasn't particularly heavy but we did have several
new license plates to add to Don's list. Also had some very nice RVs
through the overlook. Mike spotted what appeared to be a possible forest
fire somewhere north of House Mt. right before he left for the day and it
got steadily larger before the end of the watch. Hopefully it will not get
out of control.

Predictions:
Even cooler and, hopefully birdier!
Report submitted by stan Mitchell (<mitchmitchell77...>)
Harvey's Knob information may be found at:
http://bijame.googlepages.com/home

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=482