Date: 10/4/19 2:29 pm
Subject: Re: Listing and Christmas Counts
Anne, et al.,

I think semantics and how we’re defining specific terms may be an issue in
this discussion.

In my experience, a person referred to as a ‘lister’ is someone who tries
to see a high number of birds simply to add them to their
life/state/county/etc. list; differentiated from a non-lister (who probably
still keep lists) by whether or not they actually take the time to observe,
study and/or learn and enjoy the birds. I could be wrong and remain open to
corrections, but the conversation makes more sense to me with that
differentiation.

Disclaimer - I’ve never quite understood how to be ‘politically correct’ in
formal situations, so please forgive me if I’ve misspoken or offended
anyone with my possible lack of knowledge.

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 4:54 PM Ann Brice <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> I know some wanted to end the discussion about shaming listers and
> conservation, but I would like to bring up Christmas Counts. Do Christmas
> counts yield data that is valuable for conservation or not? I have noted
> that there are some "young guns" who take the time to chase rarities but
> who I don't see taking the time to participate in Christmas Counts. I know
> the Roanoke Rapids count is about to die for lack of participants and it
> needs a new compiler. Rocky Mount and Goldsboro could also use more help.
> It does take about an hours drive to get there from Raleigh but is the data
> collected not worth the energy and effort needed to collect it? If it is
> valuable data, then I would like to see more people brag about the
> Christmas counts they participated in rather than their various county,
> state, life totals.
>
> Ann Brice
> Wilson, NC
> I drove several hours in my gasoline car to participate in Rocky Mt,
> Roanoke Rapids, Goldsboro, Lake Mattamuskeet, Ocracoke, and Portsmouth
> Island counts last year.
>

> --
~Tracee 843/425-7630

Join us on Facebook!