Date: 10/4/19 1:54 pm
Subject: Listing and Christmas Counts
I know some wanted to end the discussion about shaming listers and
conservation, but I would like to bring up Christmas Counts. Do Christmas
counts yield data that is valuable for conservation or not? I have noted
that there are some "young guns" who take the time to chase rarities but
who I don't see taking the time to participate in Christmas Counts. I know
the Roanoke Rapids count is about to die for lack of participants and it
needs a new compiler. Rocky Mount and Goldsboro could also use more help.
It does take about an hours drive to get there from Raleigh but is the data
collected not worth the energy and effort needed to collect it? If it is
valuable data, then I would like to see more people brag about the
Christmas counts they participated in rather than their various county,
state, life totals.

Ann Brice
Wilson, NC
I drove several hours in my gasoline car to participate in Rocky Mt,
Roanoke Rapids, Goldsboro, Lake Mattamuskeet, Ocracoke, and Portsmouth
Island counts last year.

Join us on Facebook!