Date: 10/4/19 11:41 am
From: DJLauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] Re: reporting banded birds to the BBL
Yeah I don't mean to discourage birders from reporting to BBL, that was
not my intent.   But if you see a banded plover and send it to BBL and
are waiting for a response, it's because they didn't send it to me.
You'd be better off sending it to me.

And to clarify,  there are so many resightings of banded plovers on the
west coast that they do not go to the BBL - in fact probably 95% or more
never go to the BBL.   I suspect the BBL would not want all that info as
it would overwhelm their employees - that's why we have our own system
and why we keep all the data.

If you see a banded plover on the west coast, currently the place to
send the reports is actually <snpl_bandreporting...> - BBL
does not monitor that email, plover researchers do.

Again, I do  not mean to discourage anyone from sending reports to BBL -
you should.   What I am saying is that if you see a banded plover on the
Oregon coast, you are better off contacting me or the above email as you
will get a more thorough response and it will end up in the appropriate
hands.

thanks for the clarification Carol,

cheers
Dave Lauten