Date: 10/4/19 11:04 am
From: Carole Hallett <carole.hallett...>
Subject: [obol] Re: reporting banded birds to the BBL
Hi Dave,
Like you, I use auxiliary markers (wing tags and coded leg bands) to
identify individual birds (Red-tailed Hawks). If they are sighted and
reported to the Bird Banding Lab (BBL) the BBL will send that info to me
but I'm pretty sure it is also retained in their system and therefore
available for all of time to any future researcher who wants to look into
movements or survival or whatever of translocated Red-tailed Hawks. So,
even if right now you were the only one who cares where all of those
color-banded SNPL are being seen, which isn't the case, by not sending the
color marker sighting to the BBL all those future researchers will be
missing all that valuable background info.

Okay, just realized I may have misread your message and what you were
saying is that people don't need to send the info to the BBL if they have
already sent it to you because *you *will send it to the BBL. If that's the
case I apologize for this mini rant. As a long time bander I know it is
like GOLD when I get a report that someone has seen and reported one of my
birds. I absolutely want to encourage folks to report all sightings to the
BBL. (now I'll probably get an irate message from them asking why I am
creating all this extra work!)

I'll leave it here.

Thanks for all of your good work on behalf of our Western Snowy Plover!

Carole Hallett
Portland, OR