Date: 10/4/19 9:43 am
From: DJLauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] reporting banded birds to the BBL
Hi folks,

As many of you have seen, I have been responding to reports of color
banded Snowy Plovers on the Oregon coast.    I am doing this for several
reasons including  I suspected many people might be interested to know
where these birds are from as well as trying to keep everyone interested
because these sightings are very important and useful to us, the
researchers who banded and work with the plovers.   These 'resightings'
of banded plovers are effectively a 'recapture' of a banded bird, and
that information is used to do detailed survival analysis amongst other
things. So your sightings are extremely important and are actually used
in so called real science applications, similar to eBird (but actually
arguably even more useful!).

With that said, if you see a color banded Snowy Plover in Oregon,
technically there is no need to report these birds to the Bird Banding
Lab (BBL).   I say this with lots of caution, because I highly encourage
anyone who sees a banded bird to report that bird to the BBL!!!!!  The
researchers who band most birds are thrilled to get resightings because
they tend to be very rare and the information is incredibly useful to
them.   So please do it. However, in the case of Snowy Plovers, at this
time it is sufficient to report the birds directly to me.   The reason I
say this is because when you send a report of a banded Snowy Plover to
BBL, all they do is forward it to me anyway!!!!   I am uncertain how BBL
stores data, but species specific data like this is forwarded by BBL to
the appropriate researcher as BBL does not manage nor use that
information for their own purposes.  Yes they are the clearing house for
banded birds, but it is us, the actual researchers, who are responsible
for managing and dealing with our color banded birds.

So, if you see a banded bird, please do report it to BBL.  But if you
see a color banded Snowy Plover, you do not have to send it to BBL as
long as you send it to me (technically if you are linked into the OPRD
volunteer system, if you report it to them it will also be stored for
our purposes).   You can still send it to BBL, but note that they will
simply forward the information to me anyway.    You do not have to do both.

I hope I did not muddy the waters as I do not want to discourage anyone
from reporting to BBL.   But several emails I just received indicated
that they sent reports to BBL or they were going to, and there is no
need to do so if you sent the report to me.

Thanks again for all your reports, they help tell a very interesting
story of the recolonization of the north coast of Oregon by Snowy
Plovers after being absent for decades.    If you work hard enough you
can now get Snowy Plover in ever coastal county in Oregon.    Very cool.

Cheers

Dave Lauten

Oregon Biodiversity Information Center

Institute for Natural Resources