Date: 10/4/19 9:13 am
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Wheaton Regional Park today 10/4
Hi all,

Fairly slow start to the morning, despite the sunshine and favorable winds overnight - cool and breezy not always good for warblers and other migrants. We were actually about to leave when Barry spotted activity in birches in the picnic area and we found a nice diverse flock with our first local Pine Warblers of the season, in the native pines to boot! Twelve warbler species in all, but other migrants were thin in the ground and there was very little diurnal movement of Flickers, Robins and Jays compared to previous days. A foray into Brookside produced one female Hummingbird and many butterflies, best of the latter Cloudless Sulphur, Sleepy Orange and a Questionmark.

A word of warning - tomorrow there is a big Strut Your Mutt event at Shorefield, starting in the morning.

Gai, Mackiernan and Barry Cooper
Colesville, MD

46 species (+1 other taxa)
Birds of interest

Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Broad-winged Hawk 1 Circled up out of woods and drifted to SE.
Belted Kingfisher 1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 3
Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher) 1
Eastern Phoebe 2
Red-eyed Vireo 4
Blue Jay 15 Estimate
Gray Catbird 12 Estimate