Date: 10/4/19 7:39 am
Subject: Re: N Carolina Birder is featured guest on podcasty
You make good points regarding carbon footprints and "travel shaming"
Steve.

But I think the truth may be somewhere in the middle of your position and
Mike's. I think listing for the sake of listing and hyper-competitive
birding are not exactly positive endeavors and they deserve some social
pushback. I regret being such a gung-ho lister earlier in my life and am
really glad to be back into the joy of birding for its own sake and not
giving a damn about listing any more.

I suggest another shaming avenue for folks - giving birders heck who keep
their swift-capable chimneys capped and inaccessible. If birders won't do
the right thing on that topic, who will?

Regarding the subject of this thread: I don't agree with Edward's
characterization of "a quest to see 50% of the species in each of the lower
48 U.S. states and D.C." as an "amazing goal".

Terms that leap to my mind about a quest like that are ones like
‘pointless’, ‘arbitrary and insipid’, ‘list-obsessed’ and so forth. A
better quest might be volunteering on conservation projects in each of the
Lower 48 states and DC. Now that would be an amazing goal.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

--
flickr.com/photos/offshorebirder2/
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.flickr.com_photos_offshorebirder2_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=do23ERMsHtnXpII0PQD75_cOWmugsdEcLN73SpYeqQo&s=FbU1NnRJCsHz__QTzTB1FJ4NgscLu-p0sZQmLiZipac&e= >

"These days I prefer to hunt with a camera. A good photograph demands more
skill from the hunter, better nerves and more patience than the rifle
shot." -- Bror Blixen

Join us on Facebook!