Date: 10/4/19 6:55 am
From: John Farmer <ajf-jlf...>
Subject: RE: [birders] OT birders: butterfly visitor from the south
Roger,

Thanks for confirming my sighting. For those of us attuned to the leps, the
size, brilliant yellow, and strong flight of a Cloudless are pretty clear
signals that we're seeing something other than the Clouded and Orange
Sulfurs that are very common at this time of year . I've now had time to
check my notes in my copy of Mogen Nielsen's Michigan Butterflies and
Skippers and found that I'd seen a Cloudless on 6/8/04 and 9/24/05 here in
my yard at 13475 Petersburg Road.

I've been attuned to butterflies since I was a boy on a farm in Cass County,
MI, where my interest was spurred by my dad who had collected them as a boy
in NY State. In fact, I inherited from him a catalog of prices to be paid
by a firm in NYC for specimens collected all over the world. I don't know
that dad ever sold anything he caught and I know that I didn't, but it is
interesting to know that in that era all manner of natural ephemera -- from
bird eggs and feathers to butterflies and moths -- were the focus of moneyed
collectors. In a time of declining insect populations we can be pleased
that the popularity of those hobbies has passed.

John

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
<http://www.glc.org>
"Birders" group.