Date: 10/4/19 6:49 am
Subject: RE: N Carolina Birder is featured guest on podcasty
But where does the electricity come from to power that EV? Four words: coal, natural gas, nuclear.

EVs are great for a number of reasons, but are not necessarily “clean”. It just moves the pollution upstream and out of sight. Sort of like getting the meat wrapped up at the grocery instead of killing the cow.

Yes, wind and solar are nice (although they have environmental issues of their own). But for, example, solar to replace coal, we would need to cover an area of the United States equal to about the eastern third of the country with solar panels (the power density of coal is so much higher than solar). And I don’t think we really want to replace all that space with panels.

So it’s not simple. And it’s not just about travel. All power generation pollutes or replaces land with infrastructure. Solar might be the cleanest, but it only works during the day, and is very inefficient compared to other sources. Nuclear is probably the next least harmful, but all one has to say is Chernobyl and that discussion screeches to a halt.

It’s not easy. And in about 100 years the current discussion won’t matter (coal, natural gas and oil are finite and expected to essentially run out in a blink of time from a geological perspective). Yes, we will be left with the CO2 problems from the present, but will need to still find a way to create the energy needed for civilization (which increases at a significant rate).

Don’t get me wrong, I support clean power and the push for environmentally friendly solutions, but pragmatically, publically outing a person for choosing to burn a few gallons of gasoline (or the equivalent in generated electricity) isn’t helping. It’s preaching to the choir.

So let’s please stop with the “travel shaming” and “lifestyle shaming” on the mailing list. If you are using the power to type the message, you are using electricity and creating associated environmental impacts. Maybe a few of us are off the grid and producing power with pico-hydro stations, but for the most part, it feels disingenuous to shame folks for driving 2 hours while sitting in an air conditioned house.

Written from an air conditioned building (it was 100 degrees yesterday for crying out loud!)

Steve Shultz
Apex NC