Date: 10/3/19 4:33 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (03 Oct 2019) 327 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 4
Swainson's Hawk 0 0 1

Total: 327 2344 32399

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Dan Lumm, Dave Martin, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
We had a few visitors today, but Edmund was the only one who came for a
visit in the middle of the cold and misty day. However, he was rewarded
with so many warblers.
Thank you also to Dave and Linda Martin who joined us when the weather was
more sensible and to Kory Renaud who visited during his lunch break.
Lastly thank you to Dan Lumm for all your great help.

Weather:
A wet start for us today that did not improve until the afternoon. Luckily,
the rain stopped early and we were left with constant mist and very low
visibility until late in the afternoon. Around 3 o'clock, the mist cleared
and our patience was rewarded with some blue sky and warmth from the sun.

Raptor Observations:
A very slow day for raptors, with only a few Sharp-shinned hawks (31) and
American Kestrels (25) for most of the day. However during the last hour,
we counted 250 Turkey Vultures and a few Broad-winged Hawks (12).
Additionally, we counted 3 Peregrine Falcons, 2 Merlins and 3 Northern
Harriers one of which was a gorgeous male.

Non-raptor Observations:
What we lacked of in the raptors definitely made up with all the songbirds
we saw today. In total we counted 16 warbler species including gems such
as, Cape May, Black-and-White, Tennessee, Redstarts, Northern Parula,
Blackburnian, Chestnut sided, and Black-throated blue and green (check out
our ebird list for the full count!).
We also counted Red-eyed and Blue-headed Vireos, Rose-brested Grosbeak,
Scarlet Tanager and our first 5 White-throated sparrows of the season.
Lastly, we only counted 1,050 Blue Jays today, all coming in the last hour
of the count.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60320335

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting a nicer day, with potentially a little spit of
rain the morning, but not too much to worry about. The temperature should
be fair with a mix of sun and cloud but we are expecting Northern winds in
the morning and North-East in the afternoon! Hopefully, we will keep seeing
Turkey Vultures and with a little bit of luck a few more kettles of
Broad-winged Hawks.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<d12e9a1c8ad48a964da78e871e2f6b17...>