Date: 10/3/19 2:31 pm
From: Don Roberson <creagrus...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Yellow-throated Warbler in Pacific Grove
Yesterday at midday, Teale Fristoe, visiting from Berkeley, photographed a Yellow-throated Warbler in El Carmelo Cemetery in Pacific Grove [the cemetery is on Asilomar Blvd not far from Pt. Pinos and Crespi Pond). Alas, the warbler disappeared almost immediately, and was last seen in flight heading towards Pt. Pinos, but was never refound despite multiple searches of the Pt. Pinos area that day.

Today I also searched Pt. Pinos for 1.5 hours, but at 9 a.m., I stopped by the cemetery and checked the 'original spot' in El Carmelo Cemetery, and was shocked that the Yellow-throated Warbler was present in the same bush it had been yesterday. That tree-sized bush is at the extreme NE corner of "the thicket", a dense patch of willows, pines, ornamentals, and oaks often used by resting deer, adjacent to a mausoleum in the northeast corner of the entire cemetery. The spot I saw the warbler is next to a tee on the adjacent P.G. Golf Course, so one must use care here and must move when golfers are teeing off [as they started to do as I tried to take photos]. In the midst of that hubbub, the warbler flew, by itself, to a nearby pine and then into the northernmost cypress in a line of cypresses that stretches south, and separates the east side of the cemetery from the golf course. I lost the warbler then, and am told that many locals searched the cemetery for the next 2 hours without success.

Best of luck,

Don Roberson
Pacific Grove CA
http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/