Date: 10/2/19 10:09 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (02 Oct 2019) 23 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 23 56 1432

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Armas Hill, Beatty Broughton, Dirk Robinson,
Howard Campbell

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Elaine Kirk, Dirk Robinson, Howard Campbell, Armas Hill,
Beaty Broughton
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Sunny-Cloudy (25-0-75% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 71 - 91F, Winds WSW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (53) and Turkey Vultures (58).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
Today’s addition to the fun to be had at Bucktoe Hawk Watch’s feeders
and water feature was a first “winter” female DICKCISSEL! At least
thru early this morning, there was no further sighting of yesterday’s
Clay-colored Sparrow, but a Savannah Sparrow was back. We are now up to at
least 3 immature White-crowned Sparrows, too.
<BR><BR>
Elaine and Dirk just missed the Dickcissel. Howard was out, this time WITH
BIRD SEED. Thanks Howard, but you do know it’s not going to be 72
degrees, right? The weather today was so odd, with summer-like conditions
– 91 degrees and southwest winds. I was watching for Kites, but saw none
and precious few hawks, but we did get Howard his Eagle. Later in the day,
Beaty and I had a Solitary Sandpiper fly over.
<BR><BR>
After the watch, I visited New Garden WTP where there were Lesser
Yellowlegs, Killdeer, Wood Duck and the Ring-necked Duck.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Solitary Sandpiper, COMMON RAVENS, White-crowned Sparrows, Savannah
Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, Palm Warblers, White-crowned Sparrows, Savannah
Sparrow, Bobolinks, Palm Warblers, Blue Grosbeak, and DICKCISSEL
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (12): Monarch - 55, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary, Cloudless Sulphur. Dragonflies (3): Green
Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians
(0). Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Meadow
Vole.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.91; Steps:
9,175; Floors: 13.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 49; this season:
114
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (3):”
Solitary Sandpiper, Swamp Sparrow, and DICKCISSEL .
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks Cloudy with Showers as a front works thru, but
perhaps not a total washout. I believe tomorrow [Friday] could be great.

<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek