Date: 10/2/19 2:41 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (02 Oct 2019) 1219 Raptors

Swainson's Hawk 0 0 1

Total: 1219 2017 32072

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Despite the weather, we had one brave visitor who chose a very good day to
come to the tower! Thank you Edmund for your help and support spotting
raptors in the gray sky.

Weather:
Fall has finally arrived to Southern Ontario. We had a pretty gloomy day,
with complete cloud cover and drizzling in morning turning into rain in the
afternoon. Luckily, winds were strong and blew from the North/North East
all day, bringing along many raptors.
We ended early due to a good amount of rain and not many raptors flying the
afternoon.

Raptor Observations:
Despite the gloomy weather we had a very successful day with a daily total
of 1219 raptors!
We counted many kettles of Turkey Vultures (578) in which were sprinkled
many Broad-winged Hawks, and they even had a few small kettles of their
own, giving us a daily total of 209 Broad-winged Hawks.
Our big highlight was seeing our first Red-shouldered Hawk of the season!
We'll be seeing plenty more in the coming weeks.
As usual, we also counted a lot of Sharp-shinned Hawks (286) and American
Kestrels (111), often coming in groups of 4-6 at a time. Lastly, we counted
26 Northern Harriers, which are such a treat to watch flying above us.
Needless to say were kept very busy today!

Non-raptor Observations:
Not a very busy day for non-raptor species, but we were kept busy in the
morning with 9,730 Blue Jays migrating overhead. The newest additions to
the marsh are the Ring-necked ducks and Green-winged Teal (1).
We also counted many American Coots, Starlings, and Red-winged Blackbirds.

We also counted 15 Monarch butterflies bravely migrating through the
raindrops.

Blue Jay: 9,730
Red-winged Blackbird: 160
Northern Shoveler: 25
Northern Pintail: 15
Ring-necked Duck: 10
American Coot: 306
Starling: 765
Monarch butterfly: 15

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60291676

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting another gloomy and wet day on the tower. Light
rain is expected to fall all day, only to clear in the late afternoon.
Winds are expected to blow from the East in the morning, only to shift to
the West in the afternoon. Hopefully we will see more kettles of Turkey
Vultures, maybe with a few more Broad-winged Hawks mixed in! Hoping for
more Northern Harrier and if all else fails, more Sharp-shinned Hawks and
Kestrels.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<8856e74869aa02ecf85c771e4a67848c...>