Date: 10/2/19 1:22 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] PELAGIC TRIP REPORT: SEP. 27
Howdy, MBB Birders,

Shearwater Journeys had a spectacular pelagic trip on Friday, September 27, 2019 on Monterey Bay. Seas were so calm and glassy that they were almost “greasy.” It was one of our very best marine weather days of the entire season.

Things kicked off to an amazing start when ace leader, Alex Rinkert, spotted a SABINE’S GULL, quickly followed by an ASHY STORM-PETREL before we reached the bell buoy at Point Pinos! This was an omen of seabirds to come and a prelude to the amazing seabird counts which followed from shore at Point Pinos during the next two days. The first two BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS of the season were found in this area. They were closely scrutinized for Manx, but are confirmed Black-vented. By the day’s end, we had tallied nearly 600 ASHY STORM-PETRELS.

A very strong south wind and northbound current had preceded our trip on Thursday, bringing warm water and most importantly, FOOD, to our area. Scattered flocks of SABINE’S GULLS, ARCTIC TERNS, RHINOCEROS AUKLETS, and PARASITIC JAEGERS, and BLACK STORM-PETRELS were found in abundance. They appeared to be feeding on baby sardines or baby anchovies. At one point, I remember thinking that we must be looking at nearly the entire population of Rhinoceros Auklets in California— there were so many of them. Scattered CASSIN’S AUKLETS were showing well, too.

Two TUFTED PUFFINS, both in Santa Cruz County showed very nicely. This is not an easy bird to tick in SCZ County. We’ve found them on at least 50% of our trips this season.

BULLER’S SHEARWATER numbers increased which is always exciting. Fishermen say that they associate with tuna! By golly, later in the day, I spotted a large group of very large BLUEFIN TUNA, also feeding! The sea surface temperature remained at 60-61 F throughout the day.

We had a grand slam on the jaegers: PARASITIC, LONG-TAILED, and POMARINE, as well as 10 SOUTH POLAR SKUAS!

It was a wonderful day at sea! Many thanks to all of the folks who joined this sold out trip, and to the leaders: Nick Levendosky, Alex Rinkert, and Dave Pereksta.

Our OCTOBER 11 MONTEREY BAY trip still has spaces open. Email me, if you would like to join us: <debi...> <mailto:<debi...>.

For those who might be interested, I attach the county lists below.

Species
SCZ
MTY
Northern Pintail
12
0
Eared Grebe
1
0
Western Grebe
0
3
Black Turnstone
0
3
Red-necked Phalarope
4
47
Red Phalarope
1
1
South Polar Skua
9
1
Pomarine Jaeger
8
3
Parasitic Jaeger
1
3
Long-tailed Jaeger
5
0
Parasitic/Long-tailed Jaeger
2
0
jaeger sp.
2
0
Common Murre
1,826
206
Pigeon Guillemot
0
1
Cassin's Auklet
3
16
Rhinoceros Auklet
763
603
Tufted Puffin
2
0
Sabine's Gull
73
102
Heermann's Gull
0
40
Western Gull
60
259
California Gull
51
109
gull sp.
50
110
Arctic Tern
73
54
Common/Arctic Tern
0
15
Elegant Tern
0
88
Red-throated Loon
0
1
loon sp.
0
1
Black-footed Albatross
4
0
Wilson's Storm-Petrel
2
1
Ashy Storm-Petrel
262
315
Black Storm-Petrel
0
3
Northern Fulmar
4
0
Pink-footed Shearwater
288
94
Buller's Shearwater
22
32
Sooty Shearwater
2,760
1,053
Black-vented Shearwater
0
2
Brandt's Cormorant
2
280
Pelagic Cormorant
0
3
Double-crested Cormorant
0
1
Brown Pelican
0
38
Great Egret
0
3
Belted Kingfisher
0
1

Living the Salt Life,
Debi Shearwater

P.S. On Sunday, September 29, 2019 I saw a light morph WEDGE-TAILED SHEARWATER on our pelagic trip departing from Half Moon Bay. This will be reported on other list serves, but I wanted to mention it here.

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 44 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper- 23 June - 6 July 2020
Northeast Passage: Northern Sea Route 27 July - 22 August 2020