Date: 10/2/19 3:17 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (01 Oct 2019) 33 Raptors

CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Gerry Teig, Hank Davis
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny-Sunny (90-0% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 3,200-10,900 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 62 - 77F, Winds South @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (58) and Turkey Vultures (64).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-5
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
I made a pre-hawk watch visit to New Garden WTP, where there were Lesser
Yellowlegs, Killdeer, Wood Ducks, and the Ring-necked Duck.
<BR><BR>
At the Hawk Watch, Hank’s work on the water feature began paying
immediate dividends. A Savannah Sparrow found it and the feeders, as did
another White-crowned Sparrow, joining our single bird which has been here
a week all alone. A pair of Cape May Warblers came in to the feeder snag
with designs on the water. As I watched the action at the feeders and
water feature, I heard the timid tones of a flock of bluebirds coming to
our feeder snags. With the flock was a sparrow. I put the scope on a
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW [FOY]! We had one on nearly the same date last year ;
lingering for several days at our feeders and seen by many. Hopefully this
one will do the same.
<BR><BR>
Hank was out again with a new solar pump for our water feature. He also
brought some bird seed. Thanks, Hank! What Hank did not bring were the
hawks Kelley seemed to bring with her yesterday. It was slow above ground
today. You’ve got to work on that, Hank.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
COMMON RAVEN, CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, White-crowned Sparrows, Savannah
Sparrow, Bobolinks, Cape May Warblers, Palm Warblers, and Blue Grosbeak
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (11): Monarch - 50, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black
Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals
(2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.9; Steps:
9,157; Floors: 7.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 52; this season:
111
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (3):”
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, Savannah Sparrow, and Cape May Warbler.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks HOT; more like a summer day than a fall migration
day. I'm watching for Kites!
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: