Date: 10/1/19 9:10 pm
From: Mary Garrard <springazure1...>
Subject: [obol] Corvallis Vaux's Swifts tonight (Tuesday, October 1)
Hi all, tonight a small group of enthusiasts gathered on 1st Street just south of Madison to watch the evening show of Vaux’s Swifts going into the chimney to roost for the night. Because of the angle it was difficult to count in the usual way tonight, but based on last evening’s count of 2000+, we estimated that there were 5000+ tonight. It took over 1/2 hour for all the birds to enter the chimney and at almost full dark there were still a few in the air. This is the most I have seen in many years. Very exciting.

I did a little Google Scholar search on Vaux’s Swift migration and found this interesting article <https://www.jstor.org/stable/3536405?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents> from 1977 by a Corvallis resident who observed nesting Vaux’s Swifts in his chimney one season by lying on his back with his head in the fireplace and looking up. Kind of dangerous if you ask me…..

Happy birding!

Mary Garrard
NW Corvallis

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness. The Dalai Lama

Join us on Facebook!