Date: 10/1/19 5:27 pm
From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: Lots of Rhinoceros Auklets Inside Yaquina Bay to at Least Bridge--Update
Hi,

Several days ago, Chuck saw 8 Brown Pelicans flying over the water up
to Craigie Point in Yaquina Bay. Craigie Point is on the south side
of the Yaquina River and south Nute Slough at about River Mile 9.5
(https://www.topozone.com/oregon/lincoln-or/stream/flesher-slough/).
They are seldom seen that far upstream. There may be some fish
schools that have come in that may have also attracted the Rhinos
reported below.

As reported my email below, Chuck Philo saw hundreds of Rhinoceros
Auklets at Yaquina Bay upstream to the Bridge on 9/30. After that
observation, he went further upstream and at 12:15 PM, he counted 112
Rhinos up to about River Mile 3.0 off Idaho Point
(https://www.topozone.com/oregon/lincoln-or/harbor/idaho-point-marina/).
A +9.2 ft high tide was predicted for the OSU Hatfield Marine
Science at 2:11 PM.

Today (10/1) from 12:05-1:05 PM, Chuck watched on the Yaquina Bay
South Jetty near the "Gull Puddle" (which is the often wet area near
west edge of the large parking area along the South Jetty about 0.6
mile west of the Yaquina Bay Bridge where gulls often linger). The
tide was incoming and during that time, he counted 97 Rhinoceros
Auklets and 2 Marbled Murrelets on the water going upstream. Some of
the auklets were diving. The weather today is nice! A +9.1 High Tide
was predicted at 2:50 PM.

The Rhinos coming so far into Yaquina Bay is very unusual for here.
In his email below, Tim Rodenkirk suggested that the stormy weather
may have pushed them into Yaquina Bay. That could have been a factor,
since Sept. 28-29 were windy with peak winds of 21-22 mph at the
Hatfield Marine Science Center, but the peak was only 13 mph on 9/30
(http://weather.hmsc.oregonstate.edu/weather/weatherproject/past_daily/2019/daily_sum_201909.html).
The temperature also dropped during Sept. 28-29 at Hatfield.

Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon.
pre-2016 Lincoln Co. Bird Information at http://yaquina.info/ybn/bird/bird.htm