Date: 10/1/19 5:18 pm
From: reports--- via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Rockfish Gap Hawk Watch (01 Oct 2019) 121 Raptors

Mississippi Kite 0 0 7

Total: 121 121 27039

Observation start time: 07:45:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7.25 hours

Official Counter: Brenda Tekin

Observers: Dave Hunter, Susi Meddis

Visitors:
A BIG THANK YOU to Susi Meddis and Dave Hunter for helping out with
spotting those distant specs! It was a tough sky.
Ann Cline, Mark Whitis, Nate Miller

Weather:
A summer-like day for first day of October! Dense low ground fog over
Rockfish Valley creeping up the eastern slope that took a while to
dissipate. Way too much blue sky with thick haze on both sides and over
the ridge, making it difficult at times to focus on the distant birds to
the north. Oftentimes we would catch them as they "popped" out overhead.
High humidity at 95% dropping to 63% before starting to climb again by late
afternoon.

Raptor Observations:
Birds trickled in and they trickled out. Some low and some sailing high
across the sky, some birds small specs. More single broad-wings, with
small groups of 4-5 birds, and most didn't linger.

Two adult Bald Eagles circled about and finally disappeared, last seen
heading southward at 12:48 EST.

Non-raptor Observations:
I was "greeted" by a young black rat snake that I did not see until the
last minute as it was stretched across the gray concrete sidewalk in the
morning shade. I stumbled and although my cart with gear and chair rolled
over, I managed to somehow not step on it and the cart wheels just missed
it. It clearly was not that pleased!

A decent morning flight of Blue Jays, with smaller numbers later in the
day, with a total of 268. Chimney Swift still moving through (63),
Northern Flicker (6), Red-headed Woodpecker (2), Canada Goose (3), Scarlett
Tanager (1 female), Palm Warblers showing up!

There were also quite a few butterflies including a decent flight of
Monarch's (330), decent numbers of Red Admiral, Cabbage Whites, Buckeye and
a Varigated Fritilary.

Report submitted by Brenda Tekin (<brenda...>)
Rockfish Gap Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.rockfishgaphawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=491