Date: 10/1/19 3:36 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (01 Oct 2019) 798 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 4
Swainson's Hawk 0 0 1

Total: 798 798 30753

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Jim McCoy

Visitors:
Understandably, only a few brave souls came to visit us on the tower today,
only staying for a little bit in fear of melting up there!
Thank you to Noel, John Barns, and Jim McCoy for their visit.

Weather:
On the first day of October, summer came out for one last hurrah! In the
afternoon, temperatures reached 30 degree Celsius, with some cloud cover.
We were surrounded by haze all day which lowered our visibility slightly.
To top it off, the non-existent wind blew from the South/South-West when it
decided to cool us off.

Raptor Observations:
Even with quite unfavourable winds, raptors flew in the morning, with a
total of 798 raptors. The day was dominated by Sharp-shinned Hawks (293)
and Kestrels (112). We also counted a few kettles of Turkey Vultures ending
with a daily total of 303. We were glad to see 69 Broad-winged hawks fly
above us, all very low to the tower, giving us a beautiful view!

Non-raptor Observations:
We had a very busy morning at the tower with raptors, Blue Jays,
Blackbirds, Starlings, Cedar Waxwings and Goldfinches flying all around us!
As temperatures increased, activity around the tower came to a screeching
halt, but 5 Common Nighthawks graced us with their presence right at the
end of the day.

Blue Jay: 9,330
Red-winged Blackbird: 191
European Starling: 1,365
Cedar Waxwing: 137
American Goldfinch: 92
Tree Swallows: 250
American Coot: 272
Killdeer: 57
Chimney Swift: 15

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60270140

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting a relatively warm day with light rain all day,
but with winds from the West/North-West in the morning, shifting to the
North-East in the afternoon. Tomorrow could be interesting migration,
hoping for raptors, potentially more Northern Harriers.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<063ac98e4de1dfb12d0a33ecbad47ae7...>