Date: 10/1/19 1:47 pm
From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Sherman Co report
Tom,

Great report! That Black-necked Stilt is a good find.

I, too, spent some time recently in Sherman County and concentrated my
efforts on the Deschutes River State Park. This was on Saturday, September
28th. There was pretty good passerine activity, including an estimated 250
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS centered around the row of Lombardy Poplars. I
estimated about 25% of them were “Myrtle” and the other 75% were
“Audubon’s”. I was also able to find a few intergrades in the mix.

There was an ANNA’S HUMMINGBIRD feeding sporadically on the one Roses of
Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) shrub. A single White-breasted Nuthatch was
around, of the Interior West subspecies Group. Other good birds for me were
two BROWN CREEPERS, three MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES, at least five LEWIS’S
WOODPECKERS, 4 VARIED THRUSHES, 3 HERMIT THRUSHES, 1 SWAINSON’S THRUSH, and
an empidonax flycatcher that I felt pretty good calling a HAMMOND’S
FLYCATCHER.

There were also at least 300 VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS present, that seemed to
increase in number as the morning wore on.

All in all, a very pleasant morning at one of my favorite places to bird in
the state.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60190181

Good birding,
-Nick Mrvelj (Portland)

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 7:54 AM Thomas Love <tlove...> wrote:

> Determined to catch later fall migration and work on my Sherman Co list, I
> spent much of yesterday Monday there. It was great - NO WIND. I birded
> most of the sites along the Columbia R, especially Deschutes Rec Area.
>
> Most unusual bird was a lone BLACK-NECKED STILT at DRA. Biggest news,
> though, was the mass of VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS - at least 500, 99% first
> year plumage, swarming all around DRA. I tried to turn some of them into
> Bank, Rough-winged or Tree, but no luck there. Some migration action,
> including (all DRA unless noted):
>
> HERMIT THRUSH - 6
> VARIED THRUSH - 2
> YELLOW-R WARBLER - 50
> TOWNSEND'S W - 3 (imm females)
> BLACK-THR GRAY W - 1 (male)
> LINCOLN'S SP - 1
> FOX SP - 2
> GOLDEN-CR SP - several up Scott Canyon Rd.
>
> Loads of CALIF GULLS (but no unusual gulls) along with two dozen AMER
> WHITE PELICANS at John Day Dam. No diving ducks on the river, nor dabbling
> ducks in appropriate habitat yet.
>
> No luck with Common Tern at Broughton Beach on return
>
> Tom
>
>

 
Join us on Facebook!