Date: 10/1/19 11:50 am
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Seaside migrant passerines at the edge of the Coast Range
I spent three hours walking around the Shore-terrace loop and associated
dead end roads this morning. I have been birding this area regularly the
last few years September through October looking for migrants. The habitat
is a neighborhood (some active feeders) at the edge of the timberlands of
the Coast Range. There are stands of alder and willow with some spruce and
a marsh and a couple streams. The morning sun hits the tops of the alders
and that's when the neotropical and other migrants seem to appear. Today I
observed a late WARBLING VIREO and WESTERN TANAGER; also BLACK-THROATED
GRAY and TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS. There has been an incursion of RUBY-CROWNED
KINGLETS, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS and SPOTTED
TOWHEES; also my first-of-season VARIED and HERMIT THRUSHES along with a
few SWANSON'S. A dispersing flock of five CALIFORNIA SCRUB-JAYS was
unexpected there as well, though they have become common within a quarter
mile of there.

My Ebird list follows:

Seaside—East end of 12th
Oct 01, 2019
7:37 AM
Traveling
1.60 miles
184 minutes
All birds reported? Yes

4 Eurasian Collared-Dove
2 Anna's Hummingbird
3 Virginia Rail
1 Western Gull
1 Glaucous-winged Gull
1 Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid)
1 Double-crested Cormorant
1 Red-shouldered Hawk
3 Red-tailed Hawk
1 Belted Kingfisher
1 Red-breasted Sapsucker
2 Downy Woodpecker
4 Northern Flicker
1 Hutton's Vireo
1 Warbling Vireo -- Unexpected, but seen well. Full video with week eyeline
no wingers or eyering. Barely any yellow. Mostly light gray brown upper
parts. White under tail coverts
12 Steller's Jay
5 California Scrub-Jay
15 American Crow