Date: 10/1/19 10:28 am
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Newport Red-eyed Vireo report
Aaron & all,

The species account for Red-eyed Vireo in /Birds of Oregon: A General Reference/ (2003),
written by Ray Korpi, notes that this species "is casual along the coast in summer; it
has been recorded in every Oregon county except Tillamook."

The species account is based part on reports in the field notes of /Oregon Birds/, which
extend back to 1977, as well as data from the Oregon Breeding Bird Atlas (1995-1999)
which shows the species as a "possible" breeder in the Coast Range just inland of
Waldport.

In addition, around the time that BOGR was going to press, someone (Paul Adamus?)
reported a small population of Red-eyed Vireos in hybrid poplar plantations along the
Columbia River estuary near Clatskanie.

Regarding the timing, late September is still within the period when Red-eyed Vireos
can reasonably be expected. I've found REVIs still in Luckiamute State Natural Area
(a documented nesting location in deciduous forest along the Willamette River near
Albany/Independence) as late as September 20th. Since the OSU banding class started
operations there in the past couple of years, they've been detecting and occasionally
capturing this species with some regularity into the first or second week of
September. It seems that in late summer/early fall they move out into early seral
habitat, but are still close to nesting sites. Southward fall movement might not
start until the second half of September.

Red-eyed Vireos using early seral habitat or maple/alder growth in the Coast Range
during fall migration would be very easy to miss, since very few birders spend any
appreciable time in that habitat.

This can be seen from the attached eBird-generated map, using detections of Song
Sparrows as a proxy for coverage of early seral habitat in September/October, over
the past 10 years. The red and blue dots become very sparse once you move away from
the outer coast or major estuaries.

If I were looking for migrant Red-eyed Vireos in this area, I'd likely focus on
alder/maple growth along the Siletz River valley ... but as you can see here, there
are only a handful of blue dots anywhere upstream of Kernville.

Happy migration,
Joel

--
Joel Geier