Date: 10/1/19 9:18 am
From: <t4c1x...>
Subject: [obol] clarification

I agree with Joel that there is a lot going on right now with real Oregon birds. If, for example, you have never experienced the nocturnal movements of Swainson's Thrush, you have missed one of the grand experiences of birding. I would recommend to anyone an early morning outing, particularly in the western Coast Range, to witness this spectacle.
However, since I was the one who brought up the possibility of Couch's Kingbird, I wish to clarify a point. Bringing to the attention of others the possibility of the occurrence of that species in Oregon, was not fundamentally about potential vagrants.
It was about having an awareness of biological change. What is now true of Couch's Kingbird was once true of Tropical Kingbird, and for that matter, of Red-shouldered Hawk, Black Phoebe, Anna's Hummingbird, White-tailed Kite and, astoundingly, even for Eurasian Collared Dove! Today's Couch's Kingbird could become tomorrow's Fox Sparrow. Is it likely? No. But having an awareness of what is going on takes place at many levels, and every level gives people a chance to observe, document and enjoy the one constant of the biological world: change.

Darrel

Join us on Facebook!