Date: 10/1/19 7:54 am
From: Thomas Love <tlove...>
Subject: [obol] Sherman Co report
Determined to catch later fall migration and work on my Sherman Co list, I spent much of yesterday Monday there. It was great - NO WIND. I birded most of the sites along the Columbia R, especially Deschutes Rec Area.

Most unusual bird was a lone BLACK-NECKED STILT at DRA. Biggest news, though, was the mass of VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS - at least 500, 99% first year plumage, swarming all around DRA. I tried to turn some of them into Bank, Rough-winged or Tree, but no luck there. Some migration action, including (all DRA unless noted):

HERMIT THRUSH - 6
VARIED THRUSH - 2
YELLOW-R WARBLER - 50
TOWNSEND'S W - 3 (imm females)
BLACK-THR GRAY W - 1 (male)
LINCOLN'S SP - 1
FOX SP - 2
GOLDEN-CR SP - several up Scott Canyon Rd.

Loads of CALIF GULLS (but no unusual gulls) along with two dozen AMER WHITE PELICANS at John Day Dam. No diving ducks on the river, nor dabbling ducks in appropriate habitat yet.

No luck with Common Tern at Broughton Beach on return

Tom

Join us on Facebook!