Date: 10/1/19 7:37 am
From: Gerald Meenaghan <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender meenaghang for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Birds in Weird Places, Cont'd
OBOL,

I remember a very interesting thread from last year about birds found in weird places. This morning at 5:30, setting out on my daily run, I found a rail at 28th & Alder St. in Eugene — a highly suburban, if not urban, area. Amazon Creek and its wetlands are nearby, though I’ve never had a rail there. The bird was lying immobile in the middle of the intersection near a traffic circle. I stopped and took pictures with my smart phone. I initially thought it was dead, but when I touched it to gently turn it over for ID purposes, I realized it was still warm and had no visible injuries. I left the bird then, thinking it would wake and run off. Sure enough, when I returned at 6:30, it was gone. I sent the pics to a birder friend with much more experience than me, who tentatively ID’ed it as a juv. VIRA. That’s about the only thing that makes sense… kinda. Would you all concur? Pics and checklist are here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60259579 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60259579> .

Gerry Meenaghan
<meenaghang...>
541-221-4307

Join us on Facebook!